Wednesday, June 13, 2007

Tagged

John Robison tagged me in response to Drama Mama, so here are 10 odd facts about me.

1. In 1976 I met the sixteenth Gyalwa Karmapa, Rangjung Rigpei Dorje. He was the spiritual leader of the Karma Kagyu lineage of Tibetan Buddhism, and the brightest, kindest, most enlightened man I have ever met. He touched my head and I lifted several inches off the ground. Thinking about him still makes me smile and my heart sing.

2. I have a naturally perfect bite. It was used as the standard in a national research study on bite abnormalities in 1962. Something has to be perfect about me – there are so many imperfections.

3. I spent a year of my life, 1967-68, on the most isolated piece of real estate on Earth – Johnston Atoll in the Central Pacific. The atoll has more unique species of fish than anywhere else. Everything manmade on the atoll was removed about 10 years ago. Now it is just for the birds and the fish again. I wish them all well.

4. I will not eat lima beans. I do like Brussels sprouts, and do not judge people for not liking them, particularly people from southern California. Brussels sprouts are at their sweetest and best after a killing frost in the late autumn.

5. I have no use for hula hoops, though I have been briefly amused by watching other people use them.


6. I started the Beanie Craze of 1954. I made my beanie from 3 red and 3 green corduroy triangles. I wore it everyday and soon lots of people were wearing beanies. It only lasted for two years.

7. I once collected antique griffin and dragon candle holders. I have more than 30. I don’t know why. I just liked them.

8. I don’t like to weigh myself. I am losing weight these days through diet and exercise, but the idea of measuring my weight and keeping track of it just doesn’t motivate me at all. It feels like watching the clock, which I also do not like to do.

9. I don’t have any phobias. I did once, but they left me because I wouldn’t feed them.

10. If I know your secret, I won’t tell it to anyone. I am very good at keeping secrets.


Since I am new at this, I do not know of any blogs besides the ones that have been recently tagged. I prefer to tag at some future time, rather than randomly tag someone I don't know. If this is bad form, please let me know.

8 comments:

Irene said...

very interesting things about you. #1 is the most intriguing. my vote: good to only tag those you know well (i.e. don't tag me)

Kim Rossi Stagliano said...

The daughter of an orthodontist is intrigued by your perfect bite! I like your phobia chasing suggestion.

Holly Kennedy said...

Not feeding one's phobias
is a great way to approach
life -- good for you!
Wish I'd had a perfect bite.
Not so, though!

kristen spina said...

I am also intrigued by your first point and I'm with you on the lima beans.

Good post, very odd indeed.

Kanani said...

I knew a woman who said she liked rabbits. After this, she was always given a rabbit something for her birthdays and Christmases. It drove her crazy.

I am trying to get over my brussels sprouts bias. I am thinking of starting a support group. I think our first order of business would be to pardon all brussels sprout eaters from Massachusettes. Once we have that done, we will work state by state.

Drama Mama said...

TR -
I am now not going to feed my phobias any more, thanks to you.

I like you. Like your blog.

Carolyn Burns Bass said...

I am from Southern California and I like brussel sprouts. There. I said it.

Tena Russ said...

I used to despise lima beans (texture was a problem) until I added some fresh garlic and parsley to them. Now my husband actually requests them.